Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Follow up to HERITAGE, NOT HATE!!!


Confederate flag supporters protest Thompson
Thompson's recent comments on the Confederate flag drew protests Wednesday.

LEXINGTON, South Carolina (CNN) — Eight Confederate flag-waving men protested outside a Fred Thompson campaign stop Wednesday evening, one week after Thompson and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney criticized the flag during the CNN/YouTube debate in Florida.


Clad in jackets bearing the stars-and-bars and holding signs reading "South Carolina hates Fred Thompson" and "Fred Thompson go home," the protesters said Thompson was not a "true southerner."


Jim Hanks, chairman of the South Carolina League of the South, said Thompson that Thompson's answer was worse than Romney's because Thompson is from a southern state.

"He's masquerading as a good ole boy," Hanks said.


Asked about the flag during last week's debate, Thompson said that, "as far as a public place is concerned, I am glad that people have made the decision not to display it as a prominent flag, symbolic of something, at a state capital."


But the former Senator from Tennessee qualified his statement: "As a part of a group of flags or something of that nature, you know, honoring various service people at different times in different parts of the country, I think that's different."


The Confederate flag on display at the South Carolina state house waves next to the Confederate soldier monument there.


Again!!!...HERITAGE, NOT HATE!!! I have no affiliation with the League of the South. The idea that the South should secede again is ludicrous. However, I'm not going to apologize for my ancestors who fought for the CSA. I know it might seem odd to many of you that I'm from the Left and may be proud of the South (and I'm willing to take your criticism, or perhaps hate mail), but I DO NOT intend to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I do.