Saturday, December 1, 2007

Again, can't sleep...so I'll post

President Bush: Faith key to international AIDS fight

MOUNT AIRY, Maryland (CNN) -- President Bush on Friday stressed the role of faith-based groups in the fight against AIDS, calling the struggle one of conscience and morals on the eve of World AIDS Day.

Activists call for more AIDS funding in front of the White House, draped with a giant red AIDS ribbon.

Bush was speaking at Calvary United Methodist Church in Maryland after meeting with representatives of religious and community groups.

"Faith-based groups like these are the foot soldiers in the armies of compassion," he said. "They are helping to defeat this epidemic one soul at a time."

Despite some successes, the program has been criticized for requiring that participating groups emphasize abstinence education.

Despite the fact that I'm a Methodist, why do faith/abstinence have to come into play when we're talking about a pandemic like AIDS?!!! I don't think I've made this clear before, but abstinence-only education DOES NOT WORK. Thank God I went to school in Florida and Tennessee when teachers were allowed to give us the FACTS, not the fascist fiction.

PS. The Bushes apparently go to my old church in DC (an incredible, uplifting church at that)....although I never saw them there in the 3 years I attended.

http://www.foundryumc.org/