Bush vetoes water projects bill
Decision comes even though Congress appears to have votes to override
Hopefully the first override...Fascists goin down!!!
If Bush is overridden, the measure would give a green light to projects in virtually every state. It only authorizes the projects; the actual funding must be approved separately.
The authorizations include:
- $3.6 billion for major wetlands and other coastal restoration, flood control and dredging projects for Louisiana, a state where coastal erosion and storms have resulted in the disappearance of huge areas of land;
- nearly $2 billion for the restoration of the Florida Everglades;
- nearly $2 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers to build seven new locks on the upper Mississippi and Illinois rivers;
- $7 billion for various projects related to hurricane mitigation in Mississippi and Louisiana, including assuring 100-year levee protection in New Orleans;
- hundreds of smaller dredging, wetlands restoration and flood control projects across the country.